Sunday, March 1, 2009

Toilets in India... (warning, this gets a little dirty...)

Last night, I had my first bad experience on the toilet. I'll just say it was dirty and smelly, but considering that I've been in India for 6 weeks, I think I've been fortunate. Anyways, to commemorate my first day of the runs, I've decided to post on the various toilets I've experienced.


On one end of the spectrum, we have the fancy, high-tech toilets from Japan with a nice heated seat, a bidet, a butt-washer, and a dryer:



Then we have what most of us are use to, nothing special, but comfy:



Here's what my toilet looks like. It's made so you can squat on it, eastern style, but you have to be careful because if you slip, you'll probably be left hurt and in an embarrassing situation...



And here's one of the toilets on an Indian train. It gets the job done, and no indirect butt-to-butt contact, but it's still kinda dirty. Notice the small bucket for cleaning yourself (no TP here). Also, everything goes straight onto the train tracks, which I thought was nasty, but have realized is a good thing considering most of the toilets I've used here don't flush well, leaving poop in the bowl and your bathroom stinking...



2 comments:

  1. [hahahaha] The bathroom on Egyptian trains also empty out onto the tracks! Jordanian bathrooms are typically a hole in the ground covered with a ceramic/plastic basin with a smaller hole to do business. The wash bucket is there of course, but if you're LUCKY, it'll have a nice hose to use. Also, there are such things as "trap doors" (not what they're really called) that go over the hole to keep the smell to a minimum :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. slightly lost my appetite... it kinda reminds me of the korean squat toilets in the countryside, which I never learned to use properly

    ReplyDelete